Founded by Pat and Mary Muscat in 1992, Anything Used is located in the historic Village of Sparta in a general store built in 1838. Our store features two floors of rooms full of unique home décor items, candle accessories, seasonal items and Sparta Country Candles.
In the early 1990’s, customers were demanding high quality candles at affordable prices. Having difficulty finding these qualities in a candle, we introduced Sparta Country Candles in 1995. After six months of intensive research and humble beginnings – 18 candles a night produced in the family kitchen – Sparta Country Candles now produces hundreds of candles a day.
Unlike other candle companies, we do not sell our candles to other stores but sell only directly to customers, giving them a high quality candle at a fraction of the price. And besides the low price, a Sparta Country Candle contains as much as three times more scent than the average candle manufactured.
Sparta Country Candles is also the first candle company to introduce refills for our 12 oz. jar and three wick candy dish, generating even more savings for our customers. We will replace any candle that does not meet our customers satisfaction. We hope you are as pleased with our candles as we are making them.
What are the necessary ingredients for a successful family run business?
Start with two great kids, a lot of hard work and listen to your customers’ needs.
Having been in business since 1992 – in the community-minded Village of Sparta – we can't help but become dedicated to the community that has supported us over the years. We take great pride in being involved in many projects whether they are economic, charitable or simply community building events. We are passionately committed to giving back to our community...read more
Sparta Country Candles has been committed to adopting environmentally friendly strategies geared toward recycling, reducing energy usage and waste.
Environmental initiatives at our store front:
- Sparta Country Candles was the first candle maker to develop a reusable container that can be used multiple times with candle refills – saving both money and the environment
- Use of soy chips for shipping – which are environmentally friendly and stop the need for bubble wrap – instead of foam chips
- Structured maintenance program on all vehicles to ensure they are safe and running as efficiently as possible
- Decrease store lighting in the summer
- Plastic on windows year round and installation of extra insulation
- Installation of programmable thermostats and automatic door closers
- Deliver products in recycled cardboard boxes received from shipments
- Recycle and reuse all packaging material
- Educate customers on ways to use left over wax
- Recycle paper and office supplies and compost
- Use of reusable storage containers to store inventory and supplies
- Switching store area over to energy saving light bulbs...read more
The St. Thomas & District Chamber of Commerce Free Enterprise Awards Program is an annual celebration designed to honour those who have distinguished themselves as exceptional with significant contributions to...read more